Saturday, September 4, 2010

Proof I (used to) Have Some Artistic Ability

I never actually took a drawing or painting class until I was out of college, so when I was growing up I had to improvise in my art "lessons". A lot of my early sketchbooks (and class notes) are filled with the backs of peoples heads or clandestinely drawn figure drawings of people laying down in a park. When I was in college I decided I needed a little more practice drawing faces and fine details but you can't really do that and expect people not to notice you staring and subsequently get creeped out by you. Instead I took to my collection of CDs and LPs and recreated the images that fascinated me in some way or another. Here is my collection of that cover art.

Underdog
Audio Adrenaline's Underdog



Urban Cowboy, John Travolta



Fleetwood Mac's Rumours



A Man and a Woman (still one of my favorite drawings I've ever done and a damn good album to boot.)



Happy Days Are Here Again (couldn't find an album image online)
This woman that I painted from the cover of the Happy Days album (The happiest record ever made!) was only my second attempt at water colors and while there's certainly plenty of mistakes in it, namely the foot and face, I'm strangely attached to it. Especially considering my first attempt at watercolors ended up looking like this:


The ugliest water color flower known to man.


Thanks to Tony for taking all the pictures.

5 comments:

  1. One of these days I am going to scan my application to be a supervisor at Sierra Summit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stared at people's faces anyway, and got mocked for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben, I'm not sure what that has to do with this post (did you draw a duck on the application? I like ducks!) but I wholeheartedly support you in the endeavor.

    Cheryl, that's because you didn't realize you were staring at people and creeped us all out! We were so relieved to find out you weren't actually a serial killer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, rather than turn in a one page paper about why I was qualified to be a supervisor, I made a Children's book with stick-figure illustrations.

    For whatever reason, I did not get the promotion.

    ReplyDelete